What is Education Majors all about?
Students of Education Majors focus on building a career in teaching – whether in elementary, high school or college level of studies. As aspiring teachers, students strive not only to learn the curriculum but to hone their teaching skills as well. To be an effective teacher, one must develop both his communication and writing skills to better interact with his students.
There are a variety of fields or majors that a student can choose from. For instance, those who want to major in English or Mathematics would obtain advanced studies and certifications on his chosen field. As with other courses, online education degrees are available from the internet as well. These online programs allow anyone to enhance their careers or to finish a Master’s degree at their phase.
What jobs are hot in Education?
Aside from government and public schools who seek professional teachers, private tutoring companies are also potential employers. An Education Majors graduate can choose from the following positions:
Teacher. Most education graduates pursue a career in teaching. You may choose to apply as a teacher in elementary or high school or as professor in college, depending on the subject you majored in.
Guidance Counselor. One of the tasks of a guidance counselor is helping students choose a career path that is most suited for them.
Human Resources Administrator. If you prefer an office setting, you may apply as an HR Administrator for a corporation or a company. If you don’t want to teach in a classroom setting, this could be a career for you.
Learning Disabilities Specialist. Those who teach in schools for special children require an advanced training on handling kids with different learning disabilities. Again, greater patience is a must for this profession.
Journalist. After completing a course in education, you may pursue a career as journalist for a newspaper or a radio or television network.
Writer. Those who majored in English particularly are great candidates for a career as a professional writer.
Why take up a college major in education?
According to the 2002 survey conducted by the US Department of Labor, education is the 2nd largest industry in the US. Statistics show an increased demand for professors, teachers, administrators, counsellors and other careers requiring a degree in education.
Who are the perfect candidates for Education Majors?
Patience is a very important attitude for students who want to pursue a career in education. Being a teacher isn’t just a money-making profession. It is all about commitment to learning and sharing what you’ve learned. Even long-time educators admit that they still face challenges from the students they meet, the parents and from their fellow teachers. Therefore, if you want to a career in education, you must be prepared for the responsibilities you will face.
Online Schools for Education Courses:
University of Phoenix
– Bachelor of Science in Education / Elementary Education/English Language Arts
– Bachelor of Science in Education / Elementary Education/Mathematics
– Bachelor of Science in Education / Elementary Education/Science
– Bachelor of Science in Education / Elementary Education/Social Studies
– BS in Education / Elementary Education
– BS in Education / Elementary Teacher Education
– BA/Social Science – Child Studies
– BA/Social Science – Early Childhood Education
– BA/Social Science – Education Studies
– BA/Sports and Recreation Management
– BA/Teacher Certification Program
– Organizational Management – Physical Education
Grand Canyon University
– BS Elementary Ed – English Emphasis (Eligible for IR/Cred)
– BS Elementary Ed – Math Emphasis (Eligible for IR/Cred)
– BS Elementary Ed – Science Emphasis (Eligible for IR/Cred)
– BS in Early Childhood Education (Eligible for Credential)
– BS in Elementary/Special Education (Dual Major)
Western Governors University
– B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies (K-8)
– B.A. in Mathematics (5-9 or 9-12)
– B.A. in Science (5-9 or 9-12)
– Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program (K-8)
– Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program, Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
– Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program, Science (5-9 or 5-12)
Walden University Online
– B.S. in Child Dev (Infant/Toddler)
– B.S. in Child Dev (Preschool)
– B.S. in Child Dev Dual Con (Preschool & Infant/Toddler)